Saturday, August 25, 2007

BABY KEEGAN MICHAEL CARROLL IS HERE!

Hi Everyone!!

Well as most of you know, baby Keegan Micheal Carroll was born yesterday, Aug. 24th at 12:03pm! He weighed 7 lbs 8.7 oz and was 20 1/2 in long (he and Mia were the same length). Josh and I got to the hospital around 9am for my scheduled c-section that was supposed to be at 11am....it was kind of weird knowing that I was going to definitely deliver yesterday but pretty nice at the same time. I wouldn't have to go through all those hours of labor (35 to be exact) that I had with Mia and all those drugs I had in me. This time, it was way different. Anywho, there were some delays which pushed back my surgery until 11:30am and once that time came, I was a bit nervous but very excited! They wheeled me in, gave me a spinal anesthesia (which hurt like HELL! I didn't feel much last time with Mia b/c I was a bit drowsy from the meds) which made me go numb from the waist down and then it was time! In the meantime though, I had a hard time catching my breath and laying on my back at the same time...kind of felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack. The surgery team then straightened me out (had me tilted a bit) which worked! Phew! I was nervous that I wasn't going to be able to lay flat on my back for the surgery. Shortly after, they brought Josh in and at 12:03 (25 mins after getting into the OR), Keegan Michael Carroll was born! It was such an amazing moment which I'll never forget! I cried when I heard him crying and when they briefly showed me him over the curtain. I just couldn't believe he was here!

When they were cleaning Keegan up, they said he had some fluid in his lungs which made him use his stomach muscles more than he should for breathing. However, they kept an eye on him and within no time, he was good. We were a bit scared, but they told us this was normal for c-sectioned babies.

Keegan had his first visitors a couple hours after he was born. My brother and his girlfriend surprised us and got to see Keegan only hours after her was born (I knew they were coming but wasn't sure when). They stayed for a while which was nice and took tons of pics of little Keegan! :) I think my brother was definitely proud of his little nephew! haha! Then Keegan's nana, pop pop and big sister came later on which was nice too.

Keegan's first day went pretty welll...it was his first night that didn't. He slept off and on and I think I may have gotten a couple hours of sleep last night...it was worth it though, I really didn't mind. Josh helped me out when I needed to get him out of his bassinet and put him back in...he is such a good daddy!

Today, Keegan did very well and all three of us took a good 3 hour nap this afternoon...Keegan slept a bit longer. It felt great to get some much needed sleep! He also nursed very well and is a little sucker like his sister was. I got to speak with a lactation consultant who said he is latching on correctly and that I shouldn't have any issues with him nursing. She told me to feed him every 2-3 hours during the day and not to wake him at night....let him sleep and wake up when he is hungry. The nurses also told me this just b/c he is getting enough during the day and is peeing and pooping well too.

I am doing well after my c-section yesterday and will get to go home Monday (I'm on the hospital's wireless network as we speak). I was pretty numb for a few hours after the surgery and once that wore off, the pain struck! Luckily, the meds they gave me helped a bit. I did get nauseous though a few times when the meds when through my I.V.(I forget the name the of it) just like I did in the operating room which wasn't fun. The nausea didn't last long thankfully and the nurse said it was b/c my BP was fluctuating. Luckily, I didn't get nauseous today and got to walk for the first time which was painful. It's not as painful now walking around and it does get easier with time. However, I am pretty itchy where the incision is. Can't wait to shower tomorrow!

So as you can we are doing well and loving being parents once again! Keegan has been such a great baby and we are very blessed to have him in our life. Mia is loving being a big sister and it was such a priceless moment yesterday when she saw him for the first time. She said, "Baby Keegan!" It was awesome! I'm sure she will be a great big sis!

Tomorrow, Keegan is getting circumcised :( and luckily it's a veryyyy quick procedure. The nurse told me the babies hate it worse when they are strapped down more than they do the procedure (they are numb for it). I don't know if we can be in the room and if we are, Josh will go in...I wouldn't be able to stomach it. Keep us in your prayers that all goes well for Keegan.

If you haven't checked out our pics, feel free to do so below. We took some more today which we will send out tomorrow.

http://pictures.deblin.org/v/2007/ (the first two are new)


Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, emails, calls...we appreciate! :)

Love,

Cathy, Josh, Mia and baby Keegan :)

No comments: